A good first impression works wonders.
Most people form an opinion of you in the first few seconds after you meet, and the impression you leave can greatly influence whether or not you get the job.
We've put together a list of tips to help you exude confidence and make a great first impression at your job interview.
Before your interview:
- Research the business before the interview. If you can show you know a few things about the business, it will demonstrate your enthusiasm for the job.
- Make sure you brush your teeth, or carry a breath mint with you before you enter where you’ll be interviewed.
- Arrive on time to your interview. Allow plenty of time to make your way there, it’s fine to arrive a few minutes early.
- Dress smartly and neatly. We may even be able to provide you with assistance in purchasing new interview clothes.
- Be polite and friendly when introducing yourself to the receptionist and/or the person who greets you when you arrive.
- While you wait to be taken to your interview, it is best to sit comfortably and as calmly as you can - your first impression starts as soon as you arrive.
During your interview:
- Make sure your mobile phone is switched off. So it doesn’t distract you, definitely do not answer it during an interview.
- It’s natural to feel a bit nervous before and during your interview – take some deep breaths and try to relax into a smile.
- Be positive and enthusiastic and shake hands firmly with each person you meet. A strong handshake leaves the impression of confidence, especially if you maintain eye contact at the same time.
- During your interview, sit comfortably upright. Your posture can also have a big impact on someone’s first impression of you. It is important to stand and sit straight, hold your head up and keep your shoulders back..
- Make sure you ask a few good questions. Doing your research will help you prepare one or two questions that you want to know about the job or company.
- At the end of the interview, thank your interviewer for their time.