How to start your job search with APM and Centrelink

Banner feature
two people discussing at APM offices

How to start your job search with APM and Centrelink

APM is not part of Centrelink

We provide some of the government-funded services you can access through Centrelink, including support to find a job.

Together with Centrelink and the government, we help the following types of people:

  • Unemployed or underemployed job seekers
  • People with disability
  • Carers
  • Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders
  • Young people aged 16 to 24
  • People from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
two women discussing

Already with Centrelink?

If you're getting support from Centrelink, you can request for APM to be your employment services provider.

You will likely be placed in either Workforce Australia Services or Disability Employment Services, depending on your circumstances and following an Employment Services Assessment (ESAT).

Not with Centrelink?

You may not need to be getting financial support from Centrelink to join APM.

Like many government funded services, you will need a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN). If you don't have a CRN you easily get one by going to your nearest Centrelink branch with your proof of identity documents.

To make sure you're eligible for our services, we check you have a CRN and set up your ESAT when you register with us. To keep things simple, most ESATs are carried out at your nearest Centrelink branch.

We work together to support you

man and a woman discussing

Your APM consultant will explain what you need to do in order to receive support payments

This will include agreeing on your mutual obligations which help keep your financial support running smoothly.

If you don’t meet your obligations, we have to notify Centrelink and this may put your payments at risk.

If you have a change in your circumstances and can’t keep up with your APM program, it is important to talk to your consultant and Centrelink.

Centrelink may be able to provide you with a temporary exemption, or decide if you should take a break from your program.

If this happens your employment consultant will be there to help when you return.

When you find your next job

When you’ve found a new job, make sure you tell your APM employment consultant as soon as possible.

We want to make sure you make the best start in the workplace, and we may be able to help you access on-the-job support.

You also need to tell Centrelink. You can update them quickly by calling 133 276 (13 EARN).

If you forget to tell Centrelink and they overpay you, your support payments could be at risk and you may incur debt.

As your pay increases, your Centrelink benefits may get smaller depending on the type of your allowance. Even with this reduction, you’re still likely to be better off financially with a job compared to only receiving a benefit.

You can see how much your finances will improve with a job by clicking here to access an estimates tool.