Australian workplaces are currently facing a myriad of challenges and opportunities. Through our series of weekly Market Updates, APM’s Health & Wellbeing team will provide regular insights to help you address some of the most pertinent issues arising and keep your teams thriving.
What does this mean?
Modern technology has given us an incredible ability to keep working, even in severe lockdown restrictions.
However, a new study in the Australian Journal of Management reminds us that although digital devices help our productivity, they can seriously impact the mental health of our team.
The study examined more than 100 papers and highlighted how the constant use of technology with few breaks can be damaging to people.
In particular, they call out the negative mental health implications associated with blurring the lines between work and home life.
As employees we are all more accessible than ever with email, and other work-related phone apps, just a swipe away.
Creating healthy expectations
As organisations, it is essential we prioritise the mental health of our employees. As leaders we need to be role models and we can set clear expectations to ensure our team switches off and rests.
Other actions found to make a difference include:
- Regular physical exercise
- Scheduling breaks into work calendars
- Customising notifications on devices
- Work with your team members to find a balance that suits you both
Where to go for help and information:
- ‘Strategies for Switching off from Tech’ tipsheet
- View this Ted Talk on doing a digital detox
- Heads Up offer resources to support mentally healthy workplaces